“May This Be The Night”: A Poem by Staten Island Songwriter Michael Raz

“May This Be The Night”

May this be the night,
When all is revealed,
When fear has been seen,
When pain has been healed.

May this be the time,
When all come and pray,
That this is the moment,
When love gets its way.

May this be the song,
That sings in your heart,
May we all step right up,
May we all do our part.

May these be the lines,
That reach far and wide,
And touch every soul,
Who feels God inside.

May this be the night,
When we all can just say,
We all won for a while,
May we be one – one day.

Michael Raz

Michael Raz is a Staten Island songwriter and folk music artist. You may have seen him performing at open mic parties at various island bars and clubs over the last few decades.

• Satanic Imp Satanic Imp says:

I’ve seen this dude a couple of times. He’s actually pretty good. First time was an open mic, he was solo playing acoustic guitar. The second time he was backed by a band. My preference was the band. I think his musical vision was better conveyed wit that arrangement.]

Anyone know the name of the band? I look up Michael Raz and all I find are acoustic songs and some guitarist from another state.

• Magnificent Zero Magnificent Zero says:

Never heard of him

• Michael Rescigno is a guitarist out of Madison Park New Jersey who now resides in Los Angeles California. His father was a big band singer, so Michael was exposed to a lot of music in his youth. After trying out numerous instruments, he decided the guitar was for him.Nov 17, 2015

• Avatar StatenIslander.org_Editor says:

Dear Readers:
        This is not the same artist! Michael Rescigno went by the stage name “Michael Raz.” He’s from New Jersey.

The Michael Raz who wrote this poem, and is a musician and lyricist, is a Staten Islander. His actual name is Michael Raz.

-Staten Islander.Org Editors

• Avatar Jenn On Pompeii Avenue says:

So we’ve got the real Michael Raz in the house?
          Good job.

• Avatar Make America Silly Again says:

Find the imposter at once! Bring him before me.

40 lashes.

Methinks a fine is in also in order.

45,000 for the theft of a man’s name.

• Kandy Krusher Kandy Krusher says:

Who the f**k is this guy? Now I really want to know.

I can’t find anything about him. Apparently he used to do open mics in NYC and SI.

I found some band. Not sure if it’s the same guy, the dude from NJ, or some other Michael Raz.

Sadly, I didn’t save the link and now I can’t remember the name of the band. This was last week, so give me a break.

The band is good. The songs are my style. I love that timeless classic rock sound and stirring, poetic lyrics.

Does this band still play out, even? Again, unsure whether it’s the same person.

• Avatar This Guy's Gotta Be Kidding Me says:

YOU’RE THE TROLL! lol Satan Imp SAID he meant the guy who WASN’T from another state.

• Avatar Doomer says:

FAIL FAIL FAIL FAIL FAIL FAIL FAIL FAIL FAIL FAIL FAIL FAIL FAIL FAIL FAIL FAIL FAIL FAIL FAIL FAIL FAIL FAIL FAIL FAIL FAIL FAIL FAIL FAIL FAIL FAIL FAIL FAIL FAIL FAIL FAIL FAIL FAIL FAIL FAIL FAIL FAIL FAIL FAIL FAIL FAIL FAIL FAIL FAIL FAIL FAIL FAIL FAIL FAIL FAIL FAIL FAIL FAIL FAIL FAIL FAIL FAIL FAIL FAIL FAIL FAIL FAIL FAIL FAIL FAIL FAIL FAIL FAIL FAIL FAIL FAIL FAIL FAIL FAIL FAIL FAIL FAIL FAIL FAIL FAIL FAIL FAIL FAIL FAIL FAIL FAIL FAIL FAIL FAIL FAIL FAIL FAIL FAIL FAIL FAIL FAIL FAIL FAIL FAIL FAIL FAIL FAIL FAIL FAIL FAIL FAIL FAIL FAIL FAIL FAIL FAIL FAIL FAIL FAIL FAIL FAIL FAIL

• Avatar Troll Destroyer says:

Fail? Really? That’s mature.

I was just trying to help out. Yeah, I got it wrong. So what? At least I was trying to be helpful. More than I can say fi you.

• Avatar Petey says:

With a world in the midst of becoming so divided, this poem brings light.

• Avatar Maria Perez says:

How timely with the world coming apart at the seams.

• Avatar ..... says:

How is the world “coming apart at the scenes”?

This is a ridiculous statement.

The world is fine. It’s your negative outlook that needs changing.

• Avatar IT'S SEEM! says:

SEEMS D*****!
        IT’S SEEM!

• Magnificent Zero Magnificent Zero says:

Actually, the word is spelled S – E – A – M -S.

Very easy.

The world is kind of shot, face it.

This poem was very deep. Guess you’re not capable of feeling emotions or thinking deeply about anything other than being an internet troll.

I agree with the poet. We tried. We did it, if even for an instant. That’s what counts. What comes next on Earth will probably SUCK big time. True, I’m a goth girl and so I have a tendency toward sci-fi and the macabre both, but who’s blind enough to see a bright future for generations yet to live?

• Avatar Jerry Roth says:

This world is crazy. Are you kidding me? Unless you’re getting high every day, you know the world is a mess.

Look to the Middle East. The tensions there flare up now and again. Right now is one of those times. If you have family in Israel, you know it’s a time of stress.

When will a solution come?

• Kandy Krusher Kandy Krusher says:

Nice poem.
    What are some songs that the author wrote? just curious.

• Avatar Positivity says:

Positivity

• Avatar Devin says:

Actually a great poem.

I like what’s behind it.

The ideas are good.

The last stanza sums it all up.

• Magnificent Zero Magnificent Zero says:

Yeah. That fleeting sense of desperation.
      Knowing you did your best, but it’s all for naught.
      The triumph of love, though the world crumbles.
      Beautiful.

• Avatar just a Shibe says:

$DOGECOIN to the moooooooooooooooooooooooon

nice poem
    make it a song, maybe
    ??

• island skipper island skipper says:

Great work. Epic! Very happy your paper published this now!

The world IS a mess. No way around that one. But yes; we must yet remain positive, nevertheless.

I agree with one of our apparently younger commenters that this poem would make great rock lyrics.

I’m a Boomer, and proud. No shame in my generation. Well, at least 90% of us, anyway. Those hippie=dippies were nothing but trouble, though they did create a lot of new music that I love.

Paradoxes abound.

• Avatar Tarak says:

The Hippies were responsible for starting a new era.

We can thank them for changes in music, fashion, art, style, thinking, spirituality, yoga, meditation, cannabis, ethneogens, and more