Staten Island SAFE Disposal Event Scheduled For October 16th – Bring Electronics, Hazardous Waste, Prescriptions, and More
New York City hosts SAFE Disposal Events (Solvents, Automotive, Flammables, and Electronics) throughout the year in all five boroughs to give residents a location to drop off their harmful household products safely.
NEW: Registration Required! on.nyc.gov/SAFE-SI
Midland Beach Parking Lot:
Father Capodanno Blvd. and Hunter Ave.
Cars approach from Slater Blvd
Who is Eligible
Only New York City residential waste is accepted at SAFE Disposal Events. No commercial vehicles are allowed. Residents must provide proof of NYC residency, such as a NYS driver’s license or utility bill.
What to Bring
- Automotive products such as motor oil, transmission fluid, and batteries
- Personal care items such as unwanted/expired medicines or cosmetics (i.e. Nail polish)
- Syringes (clearly labeled and packaged in a “sharps” container or other leak-proof, puncture-resistant container)
- Household products such as pesticides, paint, hazardous cleaners, compact fluorescent light bulbs
- Electronics – check the list of items that are considered electronics.
Download the checklist of what to bring
How to Package Items
Look for items with DANGER, POISON, or CAUTION labels. Read labels carefully for safe handling.
- Clearly label all products.
- Tightly seal containers.
- Don’t mix products or bring open containers.
- If an item is leaking, pack in a larger container and use an absorbent material, such as kitty litter or newspaper, to soak up excess fluid.
- Place containers upright in a sturdy box to transport them.
- Package syringes and lancets in a “sharps” container or other clearly labeled leak-proof, puncture-resistant container.
- Place TVs and computer monitors with broken glass in separate sealed bags or boxes.
What Happens To Collected Items
Materials collected are either recycled, blended for fuel, or sent to licensed hazardous waste treatment facilities for safe disposal.
Electronics are responsibly recycled or refurbished for reuse through ERI.
Unwanted medications are managed by environmental police and incinerated to prevent unintentional poisonings or entry into the water supply.
For more information visit NYC’s SAFE Disposal website
Banner Image by kalhh
Leave a Reply